Wednesday 10 October 2012

My Rant on Violence

Anaghster here,

Haven't uploaded anything in a while. This feels kind of nice.

Earlier today I was on the internet wanting to buy the new deadmau5 album, "Album Title Goes Here". I later found myself watching one of his music videos, "The Veldt". I read the comments and found out that the song was based off a short story. So guess who did his research? That's right, it was yours truly, the great Anagh. I went online and found the short story , the link is as follows:

The Veld Full Story

Or, if you're a lazy person and hate reading, I found you a plot summary:

The Veldt Summary

NOTE: READ THE STORY BEFORE YOU CONTINUE.

I thought that the story was pretty creepy, and I found out what the meaning of this story may be. I believe that this story is warning us that not everything is perfect, and you can have too much of almost anything. I also believe that I know how this may apply to everyday life. I think that this story applies to young children and violence as well. I know that my little brother is one of these people, he is one of many victims to this. In fact, as I am writing this, he is in the basement playing Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, which is a third person puzzle shooter. He is nine. Funny thing actually, I kinda let him play. But besides that, I think that this is becoming more dominant in our society, and this story is a good example of that. I believe that this is an extreme example which I believe we are heading towards unless we take proactive measures to ensure that our next generation is not a bunch of violent maniacs.

Ever since my brother has been playing these games, I have seen a drastic change in language that he uses, attitude towards others, and most importantly, attitude towards me. I think that this a good sign that no matter what happens, we cannot lose the next generation (why am I saying 'next generation'? I am the next generation!) to technology and to violent movies and video games. And unfortunately, these things are being accepted into society. For example, when I went to see "The Avengers" with a few buddies over the summer, I noticed that there were a lot of toddlers and small children in the theatre. Now, after reading this story, I remember how violent the film was and now I have a headache and I feel bad. I remember when I was nine: I was playing pokemon, trading pokemon cards, and online strategy flash games all day. I can't believe that society has come to this in a time of 4 years. 4.

I have a message for kids out there who play violent games, watch violent movies, and think it is okay, and it is this: It is not okay. Stop doing this before you start doing violent things. You probably don't think that now, but in that nursery in the back of your mind, your little girl and boy run free, with nothing stopping them.

Whoa! I scared myself there. That was pretty scary. Heh.
But I want everyone to know of this problem in society. Pass this story on, and one person at a time, our world will change.

Take care of yourselves,
Anaghster.

No comments:

Post a Comment